Sunday, February 7, 2010

Best Young Adult Authors of the Last Decade

There's a really cool blog run by the book editors of Amazon.com called Omnivoracious.  They recently posted about the best Young Adult authors of the last decade.  The writer was supposed to have come up with her 10 favorite YA books of the last decade, but found that she couldn't do that since there are just too many good ones.  Instead, she chose to pick 8 authors who have helped to shape the world of YA fiction.  It's a very interesting blog post which reads as a virtual checklist of the heavy-hitters of YA fiction and points readers in the direction of other authors who have similar styles.  Read the whole Omnivoracious blog post here. 

If YOU had to choose the authors who you think have helped to shape Young Adult fiction in the last decade, or just your favorite YA authors, who would you name? 

To start things off, I'll tell you some of my thoughts on authors I've read that I think have had an impact:  Chris Crutcher, Sharon Shinn, Maureen Johnson, John Green, Neil Gaiman, Pete Hautman, David Levithan, Sarah Beth Durst, Barry Lyga, Nancy Werlin, Scott Westerfeld, Gabrielle Zevin, Phillip Pullman, Paul Fleischman, Anthony Horowitz, Rick Riordan, Libba Bray... and I'm sure lots more!  

Some others who I know have had an impact, but I haven't read yet for one reason or another: Tamora Pierce, Sarah Dessen, Cornelia Funke, Darren Shann, J.K. Rowling (Oh my goodness- I've never read the Harry Potter series!), Holly Black, Stephanie Meyers (Oh my goodness- I've never read the Twilight series!), M.T. Anderson... and I'm sure lots more!

Tell us yours!

0 comments:

Enter your email address to receive updates about new blog posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner