Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Battle of the Books: Reviews for The Lightning Thief


The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Reviewed by James, Gr. 8
If you like action and mystery books, this is the book for you. Percy Jackson, son of Poseidon, is a kid that lives with his mom in NYC and gets expelled from every school he’s been at. If you like Greek mythology you won’t be able to put this down like me.
P.S. This is way better than Twilight and possibly Maximum Ride, not that I’ve read Twilight.

Reviewed by Reah, Gr. 6
The Lightning Thief is a book mainly about Greek mythology. It also has a mix of adventure, friendship, and monsters. I really liked this book. I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

Reviewed by Robert, Gr. 9
I was truly worried about reading this book. I heard and interesting review and truthfully I judged the book by its cover. However I was pleasantly surprised when I began to read this book. It tells the story of a young boy named Percy who attends a special school in Upstate New York. His world is turned upside down when he is attacked by a Fury, one of the mythical god Hades' demons. He is later recruited by a summer camp that houses the sons and daughters of Greek gods and goddesses. Percy is later sent on a quest to find Zeus' master lightning bolt to stop an inevitable war from occurring on Mount Olympus. This book was an excellent read and I finished it in about two and a half hours. It is packed with adventure, suspense and romance.

Reviewed by Brian, Gr. 7
This novel by Rick Riordan had the perfect mix of suspense and action. The plot was perfectly paced; never leaving you confused half way through the book. The thought of gods and demigods from Greek mythology still existing today is creative and cool. The story is unpredictable and will keep you on the edge of your seat. And if you're thinking this is just another 'Rescue the princess!' story, you're way off. So if you ever get the chance, grab The Lightning Thief and read it!

Reviewed by Maria, Gr. 6
Lightning Thief has a lot of history of the Greek gods. It is a mix of adventure and well, history. I think that all of the Greek stories are interesting, therefore I enjoyed it. If you do not like the history of the Greek gods, I would not recommend this book to you.


Additional thoughts by Miss Catherine:
I think this book was at the very top of my list of favorites for Battle books this year. I say “think” only because this year’s list was full of such good books that I’m really having a hard time deciding which was my absolute favorite! I don’t know if one of the influencing factors is that this is the last of the Battle books that I read… so it’s still so fresh in my mind as of right now. Either way, this book was awesome! It was non-stop action from start to finish. It was a creative story with loads and loads of Greek mythology. For me, if I finish reading a book and want to “learn more about it” then I know the author did a good job with the subject matter. I want to learn more about Greek mythology! Although they were hard to remember, the fact that the names of the Greek gods and heroes still live on in today’s society, fascinates me. I can’t wait to read the rest of the books in this series!
Additional thoughts by Ms. Meghan
Before reading Lightening Thief I thought that it would be one of my least favorite Battle books. I started reading it and my thoughts quickly changed. It was an action packed story that riveted me from the start. I was fascinated by the different characters in the story and it made me want to know more about Greek mythology. I absolutely loved it and consider it one of my favorite books. I can’t wait to read the continuing story of Percy in the next book Sea of Monsters.

0 comments:

Enter your email address to receive updates about new blog posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner