Monday, August 10, 2009

Battle of the Books: Reviews for Last Shot

Last Shot: A final four mystery by John Feinstein

Reviewed by Varun, Gr. 8
This book was pretty good. It was a sports story and it was kind of realistic fiction too. It was a basketball novel. It is told from a reporter point of view, and most sport novels aren't. I liked this book a lot for the unique way it was told. 4 stars out of 5

Reviewed by Reah, Gr. 6
Stevie loves basketball. He loves writing about it. He is so happy when he wins the USBWA writing competition along with a southern girl named Susan Carol. Chip Graber is one of the greatest basketball players of all time. Stevie is so excited about meeting Chip Graber. But when he and Susan Carol overhear a conversation that can change Chip's life and career, they know they need to do something. What will happen to Chip, Stevie, and Susan Carol?

Reviewed by Robert, Gr. 9
Stevie Thomas and Susan Carol Anderson are sent to New Orleans to cover the Final Four after winning the U.S.B.W.A.'s writing contest. While there, they fall into a sinister plan layed out by money-crazy college professors and deans. It reminds the reader that corruption still plagues many sport organizations. This book kept me on the edge of my seat and the ending contained a surprise twist. This was probably one of the most interesting and compelling sport books that I have every read!

Reviewed by Maria, Gr. 6
Last Shot is a college basketball mystery. For those of you who love sports, you'll love this, too. For those of you who don't, like me, you'll probably love this more than you would think. When Stevie Thomas and Susan Carol Anderson over hear someone threatening Minnesota's star player to throw the biggest game of the season, they are interested.

Additional thoughts by Miss Catherine:
To paraphrase Maria’s review above: “For those of you who don’t like sports books, like me, you’ll probably love this more than you would think.” That says it all! I’m not usually a fan of sports books- all the details that are usually added (like play-by-play action shots, and fluctuating scores) just confuse me and distract me from the meat of the story. If I read a sports-themed book, it has to have enough of a back story to float me through all of the “sports stuff” in order for me to like it. (Side note: the YA author Chris Crutcher does this extremely well, which is why he is one of my favorite authors- even though most of his books are centered around some type of sport.) Getting back to Last Shot- this book had me on the edge of my seat! The mystery and action of the storyline had me hooked so well that I didn’t even care that the author name-dropped something like a thousand key figures in the fields of basketball and journalism. I know more about basketball than I ever wanted to because of this book, including the pronunciation of the coach of Duke’s basketball team. Thanks to Robert’s brother Michael for setting me straight on that one… it’s not pronounced anyway near the way it looks on paper!

0 comments:

Enter your email address to receive updates about new blog posts:

Delivered by FeedBurner